Sunday, September 14, 2008

It was standing room only

...at the Off-Broadway Dinner Theatre last night for the launch of the 10th New Leaf Editions. I'm happy we got there early to grab a table. It was a great event. After the readings we pigged out on the incredible torte cake made by Adrienne Gruber's mom and chatted with friends as we waited for the long lineups at the book table to shorten. I bought a copy of each. They're beautifully designed books, inside and out. Lovely to look at, lovely to hold. It's a pleasure just to run a hand over the covers and feel the textures. The cover image on each feels just like a photograph and has a warmth to it while the matte finish of the dark background actually feels cooler. And you can feel the text on the cover. Impressive.

*
We stopped at McNally Robinson earlier in the day. I wanted to do a bit of research and was determined not to buy any books. But I broke down when I saw that The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews was 30% off. What a deal! Then I saw Going Home, Tim Lilburn's new collection of essays. I just had to have it. Thank goodness I ran into a writer and gabbed for a while. Who knows how many books I would've bought otherwise.

*
We got home a couple hours ago. It was a great road trip. They're twinning the highway between Saskatoon and Prince Albert and it's coming right along. I find road construction endlessly fascinating. It's a culvert lover's dream. I posted some culvert pics from today.

*
I saw a fisher further north in the ditch along the Hanson Lake Road and it was a big one. What a treat! It didn't stick around to have its pic taken. The closest I can offer is a pic of the forest floor in the vicinity.


That's about as close as I want to get to a fisher anyway. They don't look particularly friendly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at McNally Robinson as well that day and tempted by the 30% off. I managed to resist temptation--it's a good thing I didn't see Lilburn's new essays...

It was nice meeting you at the launch.

Ian

Brenda Schmidt said...

Ya, Lilburn's book looks like another dandy.

It was nice meeting you, too. Congratulations again on a great launch. Your book is a beauty!

Brenda Schmidt said...

I was just over at your site. Love the post about the launch.

Shawna Lemay said...

Oh no - and I'd just vowed to stop buying so many books....! Thanks for mentioning the Lilburn - didn't know it was out.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Ha! That's the hardest vow to keep!

I started reading it this morning. In the intro Lilburn says "a rejuvenated comprehension of longing, I believe, is the one way home for us." I'm pretty excited about this book as it tackles something I really care about and I suspect it will help me think my way around my current project.