Thursday, October 28, 2010

Snow and what looks like another dandy

...issue of The Malahat Review. I'm thrilled that a poem of mine is included.


As I stood on the step to take this pic, I heard Pine Grosbeaks in the trees above. The chickadees were going on as they always do. A Downy Woodpecker was tapping away on the suet. All the birds seem to be in winter mode. The Gray Jays are already making regular visits. No sign of Bohemian Waxwings today. More than 250 of them visited the yard on October 22 and left little behind. Our mountain ash didn't produce this year, so I doubt if we'll see such a flock here again. And I won't name the bird I saw yesterday. It's far too early for them. That would mean we're in for a long hard winter. It was flying full-out as they do when fleeing danger. That in itself I took as a bad sign.

6 comments:

Blondi Blathers said...

Oh oh. You're scaring me, Brenda!
I just made a run into town and damn near hit the ditch twice, due to the icy road past our place. The first few days of snow are always kind of nerveracking.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Yikes! Glad you made it in one piece! You're right, the first few days are the worst.

tracy said...

Can't wait to read the poem!

Where's your snow--that's a piddly amount compared to here!

Brenda Schmidt said...

Ha! That storm didn't stretch this far north. I haven't got enough to make a decent snowman.

Pearl said...

congrats!

we haven't got enough to make a decent snowball yet, let alone a snowman.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Thanks!

There's nothing like a good snowball! Alas, our snow is all gone now.