Saturday, February 28, 2009

Faith, as you

...say, there's small choice in rotten apples. So says Hortensio in The Taming of the Shrew. I studied this play way back when, or so all the yellow highlighting in my copy of The Complete Pelican Shakespeare leads me to believe, but I don't remember much about it. Nothing that I underlined rings a bell. One would think it would've left more of an impression. Oh well. The following video, while referring to a few texts, has nothing to do with Shakespeare. It's about me and apples.



*
March 1 - In A Natural History of the Senses, Diane Ackerman says that Elizabeth I wore a pomander - an apple rolled in cinnamon and studded with cloves - to ward off the plague. I'd like to make one, mainly to see how strong they smell and how flies and mosquitoes react to it. I found some instructions. Looks simple enough. I also checked the going price of an Elizabeth I silver pomander to put it in. Maybe I'll use a garlic bag instead.

10 comments:

the regina mom said...

Ha!

Anonymous said...

The pie will be ready the next time you come !

Brenda Schmidt said...

Ya ya. I wouldn't have believed it had I not tried it. You apple people know what you're talking about.

Oh, and I had my first ever organic banana today as well. It was pretty good.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Yay! Apple pie! Your apple pie is the reason apples were created, I'm sure of it.

Anonymous said...

Well. Interesting. Apples make me hungry. I think it's a metaphor.

You never worried about apples when you were eating strudel in Europe. Why is that?

Brenda Schmidt said...

Funny thing, I thought of you when I was looking at the symbolism. :)

Well, strudel is vaguely pie-like. And, as you must recall, it was more a matter of survival as I had trouble finding anything else I liked. Strudel and bananas. That was it.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. But you liked the bananas even more because you could weigh them yourself, or could until we reached the Czech Republic. The weight of one banana. Does one organic apple weigh the same as one organic banana?

Brenda Schmidt said...

True. I did enjoy weighing the bananas more than I enjoyed the bananas themselves. By far. But really, who wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

LOL, "smells like plague" and "tastes like cardboard." In defence of apples everywhere, I love apples!

But bananas are better.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Yes! Bananas are better!

I'm still holding out hope that my sense of taste will change enough over time that I, too, can enjoy whatever it is you apple lovers enjoy.