Monday, January 12, 2009

It was only -24

...yesterday, -29 with the wind chill, one of the nicest days we've had in a while. We were out scouting for tracks when we came across some lovely culverts. The light was so soft.


H took this pic while I was taking pics. I posted a few of mine as well. You'll notice I had no mitts on. I hadn't planned on shooting as many pics as I did and was out there longer than planned. My hands were pretty cold by the time I got back to the car. But there was hot chocolate waiting, so all was good.

*
The romance of objects.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pic! And it compliments the article well. Maybe now I can justify my love of old dishes/cutlery, or not. Hmm. Now I'm thinking about the photographing some of them, just for fun.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Good idea!

I love the last sentence of the article. I can see Lego as a form of art, sure, but the periodic table as poetry? Whoa! Mind you, I did go through a phase when I was a kid where, rather than eating the mashed potatoes on my plate, I'd use them to sculpt a relief of a woman in a gown or a horse, etc. By the end of a meal my plate was beautiful! At least I thought so. Who knows, my obsession with mashed potatoes might have been a nudge towards science that went unacknowledged. I blame the gravy.

Anonymous said...

The periodic table as poetry was really interesting (I think it would be an interesting concrete poem and perhaps you could form a new kind of table from a multitude of culvert photos).

I can also relate to the hours spent on the Lego, because we were not allowed to mess with the food on the plate. Union rules. For me it the love of my brother's dinky toys, and playing with them in the dirt on the farm. Hours spent creating all sorts of miniature worlds.

Brenda Schmidt said...

I should add that both the mashed potatoes and the gravy were always excellent. I just took more than I could eat, likely so I could get the woman's gown just right.

Brenda Schmidt said...

Oops, I was writing a comment when you posted yours.

Hm. Lots of possibilities there. I just googled and see that teachers actually do combine the periodic table and poetry exercises. Wow. School sure has changed.