Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Right now a helicopter

...is flying a grid over town, pulling a red ball behind. A geological survey, I think. The cat doesn't think much of it. Nor did the cat think much of the jackhammering that was going on just across the street off and on all day. The noisy big truck with the big big hose that ran till 6 p.m. didn't go over well either. I don't know what she thinks of all the smoke from the forest fire north of here, but I can guess. Fussy cat.

This bustling mining town sure put the bustle in my bustle today. I was up and working by 5:30 this morning and I just stopped now. Lots to do before we go. And as luck would have it, just as I was in the middle of stuff that needs to get done, I looked up at a poem that's been resting on the bulletin board beside the computer and it hits me. So I then spent hours happily tinkering away on that poem. Then I looked up at another poem and the same thing happened again. I know what you're thinking: I was just putting off packing. And maybe I was, but the poems work so much better now. I just pinned the revisions on the board. We'll see how they look a few months down the road.

So we're off to Moose Jaw in the morning for the Saskatchewan Festival of Words. I hope to see some of you at the Readception tomorrow evening. I'll try to stay out of the cake this time...

After the festival we're heading straight to Fernie, BC for the Fernie Writers Conference. On Wednesday I'll be reading with the Fernie scholarship winner and others. See the sidebar for details. And the readings will be followed by a jazz jam! How cool. If you're in the vicinity, and even if you're not, come on out!

Anyhow, if all goes well, this blog will be hopping until the end of the month. So check back. Better yet, pack your bags and head to Fernie!

Well I should pack. See you soon!

One more thing. I was just over at wood s lot where, oddly enough, I discovered Poetry gives off smoke...

No comments: