Friday, July 27, 2007

Fernie Writers Conference (Day 5): The weekend

...workshops began this morning. First I filled up on French toast for the second morning in a row at Slopeside Coffee and Deli. I love French toast and there they use the perfect amount of cinnamon. Then I headed down to The Griz Inn where the workshops and panel discussions are being held. I'm leading the poetry workshop. It's a great bunch.

This afternoon I was part of a lively panel discussion on literary publishing.


On the panel: (left to right) Keith Liggett, Angie Abdou, me, and John Keeble.

Then I attended "Crafting the Query," a workshop led by Jennifer Hamilton, managing editor of Avenue. I've been to talks on crafting queries in the past, but this was by far the most informative.

After the panel discussions, we headed downtown for the reception at The Arts Station, a fabulous building with an equally fabulous history. The food at the reception was incomparable. Hats off to The Blue Toque for the irresistible table of delicious cheeses, breads and sweets. I headed straight to that table when I walked in. I couldn't help myself. And then appetizers began to float around the room. I just about drooled to death when the mango curry prawns came out. Huge prawns beautifully arranged on a long rectangular white plate and surrounded by a graceful border of mango curry sauce. Unreal!

Tonight we attended the great readings by Angie Abdou and John Keeble, which were held at Freshies, another lovely location in downtown Fernie. Several people have raved about the coffee at Freshies. Because it was evening, H and I opted for creme brulee frappes. Too good.

Now I have some serious reading to do. Tomorrow will be another big day.

No comments: