Sunday, August 24, 2008

The skies just east of here

...have been busy today. I could see the bird dog from my office window. We finally took a drive at 4:30 to see what was going on. We walked up a quad trail and then climbed a hill to get this pic.


The helicopter wasted no time. It was quite a sight. When we turned to leave we saw people in the rocks all around.

*
August 25

Word has it the fire was close to the ski chalet. The cross country ski trails are excellent up here, or so I'm told. I'm not a skier. I've only hiked on them in the summer and only once or twice in the twenty-some years I've lived up here. One time I sat on a hill just off a trail and painted. A watercolour. I remember it was going really well. Then I overworked part of it. Not good. Anyway, had we gone earlier yesterday I would've got pics of the waterbombers as they knocked down the fire. I love those planes. The deep rumble. But I'm happy we went when we did, as I've seen waterbombers at work before, but never a helicopter. I liked its nimbleness. Its funky bucket.

No comments: