Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fernie

...is so beautiful. We're settled into our suite at the Fernie Alpine Resort and enjoying the cool breeze. We had a lovely trip here. Lots of traffic, but that's to be expected on a Sunday in July.

I hear the Fernie Writers Conference is going great. It started on the 14th. My part in it will begin tomorrow as I'll be part of a panel discussion called "Shaping the Work." I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

*
We left Moose Jaw this morning. It's such a lovely city. I had a great time at the Festival of Words, as always. I had to pick and choose, which is difficult, but H and I attended readings by Ken Babstock, Sheri Benning, Don Domanski, Bernice Friesen, Gerald Hill, Dave Margoshes and Daphne Marlatt, all of which were very good. The Ted Barris plenary on When a Nation was Born: Vimy Ridge was outstanding. It's the best plenary I've ever attended, hands down. We also attended the Elizabeth Hay plenary. She read and was interviewed by Martin Levin. We also went to the banquet and heard Martin Levin of the Globe give an entertaining talk on the challenges and perils of book reviewing. And of course we spent lots of time with friends. It was great.

No comments: