Saturday, November 12, 2005

Good writing

...is the secret to "How (not) to get published." I like the bit about synopses.

Late last week on the way to Saskatoon we had the most bizarre experience. I've been distracted by it ever since. Five minutes earlier or five minutes later and it would not have been. After we got back in the car, I told H that this was the beginning I'd been missing, but he already knew that. I proceeded to lay out a fairly coherent synopsis of a nonfiction book that I'd talked about in quite sketchy ways before. He said this is a book that needs to be written. He said he'll help with the research. As we drove, the synopsis grew out of itself. It's still growing. It's definitely the seed of a collaboration.

5 comments:

Tracy Hamon said...

Ambiguously excellent.

Ariel Gordon said...

You know, that's the best description of B's modus operandi that I've ever heard...

Brenda Schmidt said...

Har har.

B's modus operandi would be a great name for a cake...

lindseyw said...

...or a martini.

Ariel Gordon said...

...or a book. A book with embossed letters and an image of pearls in blood or something.

Real tasty, that...