Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Historiography

...fascinates me. A history is shaped. I like to get a sense of those who do the shaping.

I spent the day rereading Northern Visions: New Perspectives on the North in Canadian History. The epigraph on page 8 of More Than Three Feet of Ice is taken from the introduction to this book.

This evening I read "How Historians Complicate Things: A Brief Survey of Canadian Historiography" by Margaret Conrad. In this essay Conrad claims "with the appearance in 2001 of Northern Visions: New Perspectives on the North in Canadian History edited by Kerry Abel and Ken Coates, a northern historiography had come of age." 2001. I got the book hot off the press, so I guess I was at the coming-of-age party and didn't know it.

After I reread Italo Calvino's words on exactitude and his words on quickness, I will rest my eyes.

No comments: